ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jason Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 16:05:43 -0500
I am a new subscriber to the list and need some information.  I went to
Orono from Sept. 88-Dec. 92 and saw all those great players (Pellerin, Roy,
Carney, Corkum, Robitaille, Capuano, Major, Beers, Kariya1, King, Dunham,
etc...) in action as often as I could.  When I left school and moved to CT
just before the national championship, I really missed going to the games.
I later moved to the Southeast and for five years had a hard time finding
any information.  I remember the problems Maine had later, but I'm not sure
of the specifics.  I can remember the ineligible player (Tardif?) was a
grad student without the necessary credits, then the NCAA scrutiny came and
a lot of other stuff came out in the open.  Am I right? Can anyone educate
me and fill me in on the details.  I get real frustrated reading the Boston
media now and hear the talk that Maine hasn't "paid their penance" yet.  To
me, the stuff was mostly minor and nothing more that any other D1
competitive school does, whether inadvertantly or not.  I get in a lot of
"office debates" about it and want to defend Maine with more information.
Please fill me in.

And let me tell you all, moving back here last fall, going to all the
Boston area games, and watching the NCAA Division 1 Champion Maine Black
Bears in action again has really got me going!!   Walshie has got to be one
of the greatest college hockey coaches of all time, with a team that still
competes without a full boat of scholarships, all the adversity and bail
outs they had, to still win it all, it's almost a miracle.  Congratulations
to the team, the coaches and all the supporters of this Class A program.

PS:  watching this team, with their super talented freshmen, reminds me a
lot of the 88-89 team, what I like to think was the beginning of this
higher tier of play we now occupy.  Can we go higher?