From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 15:55:53 -0500
While some people are still around the list, I want to ask for help - please
respond privately:

I am well into the process now of writing a book on college hockey. More
specifically, this book will be on the history and culture of college hockey in
the East. The stress here is on "culture" because I am not intending a straight
recounting of facts. The book will trace the growth of hockey, starting with the
Ivy League/Pentagonal League, through the Wars, the start of the ECAC, and the
eventual split-up.

I have also decided to concentrate on the East. This would limit appeal,
unfortunately, but I felt I had to narrow it a little bit or I'd have too much.
However, there will be plenty of crossover. It's hard to talk about great games
without mentioning Western teams.

I am asking for help from the list members. Using the below questions as jumping
off points, I ask you to send your stories, anecdotes, suggestions, etc...
Please don't be afraid to chime in if you are a western fan because there's
plenty that pertains. Full credit will eventually be given to all who help. Most
of the knowledge of college hockey's past is only contained in obscure stories
in people's fading memories. I want to preserve those moments.

For an outline of the book, go to "www.enter.net/~adamw/home/book-outline.html"

Thanks to all in advance -- it would be best, probably, to e-mail me privately -
unless there's a controversial subject that might need discussion.

Here's the topics of discussion:

 Talk about the greatest game you ever saw or played in.
 What great coaches, characters, refs, etc... stand out in your mind?
 Who was the toughest opponent?
 Was there anyone you just hated?
 Are the rivalries respectful and which ones are the most heated?
 What scandal or tragedy sticks out in your mind?

 How does the sport fit into the player's life as a student-athlete?
 Is more expected of a college hockey player academically than the major
revenue-generating sports
 What makes this sport unique?
 Does the student-athlete model of college sports properly serve the young
adult?
 Is the recruiting process healthy?
 Can it be improved? On what basis?
 Should there be a concern with the proliferation of foreign students taking the
place of Americans?
 What do the fans, coaches, parents, players and schools get out of the
experience?

 What strikes you about being in Lake Placid?
 Is there a historical context you can place your experience in?
 Did the 1980 US Olympic gold medal victory have significance in your life?
 What impact does that win have on the current state of college hockey?

 What kind of changes have you witnessed over time?
 Has the expansion of hockey and increased visibility on television hurt or
helped the sport?
 How does college hockey parallel the college sports culture, overall sports
culture, or just the American culture?
 What are your memories about the circumstances of the creation of Hockey East?
 What were the impacts of the split from the ECAC upon the sport, the players,
the schools, etc...

 What role does the arena play in adding to the overall experience?
 What do you remember most about the old arenas?
 From your perspective, as a fan or student, how does the arena experience fit
into the community model?

Thanks again.

AW