ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Duane Glass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 23:23:21 PST
>Frank Brickelmaier wrote --
>
>>I do not understand why Shawn Walsh waited until less than a minute is
on
>>the clock before he pulled Alfie tonight.  Why not pull him earlier
when
>>Maine actually had the puck in the BC zone?  Maine could of had a 6 on
4.
>>This is not the first time I have been furious with Walsh for not
pulling
>>the goalie sooner....
>
>My sentiments exactly.  Alfie was positioned halfway between the goal
and
>the blue line during every face off.  What difference does it make if
you
>lose 4-2 or 3-2.

I don't mean any disrespect, but it always amazes me how there are
thousands of fans in the stands who know so much more than the idiot
behind the bench.

The reason why Shawn Walsh did the correct thing is because Maine
was on the power play already.  To pull the goalie before it was
over would be to allow free shots at the empty net without any fear
of icing.  If you're already on the power play, the percentages are
with you being a little patient in giving the goalie the hook.
Otherwise, you may score in the final seconds, but because they
could ice it at will, they already got an empty-netter.

Duane Glass