Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 1994 16:56:48 -0500
Jeffrey Anbinder writes:

>Two:  This question is somewhat more subjective, and it stems from the
>vicious crosscheck that Vinne Auger took in front of referee Dawes on
>Saturday night.  Ignoring for the moment the qualitative judgment of
>Dawes's refereeing skills (and ignoring the popular assertion that he
>cohabits with ovines on a semi-regular basis, and has a tendency towards
>sadistic forms of marital discipline), I wondered exactly what constitutes
>a crosscheck.  Now, intentionally *not* ignoring qualitative judgments, I'd
>like to know if *anyone* who was at the RPI game thought that Dawes's
>non-call was correct, particularly RPI fans.

This is a real stretch to make this apply but here goes......

On the radio broadcast of Friday night's (Union vs. Cornell) game, the
clearly partisan (for Union) announcers mentioned several times that
Vinne Auger seemed to be taking liberties with the rules.  They described
him as being too full of himself for his own good.  They even went as far
as saying that someone for Union (Simonton perhaps?) should dump Auger on
his keister and teach him a lesson.  At the end of that game, when (again
according to the broadcasters) Cornell seemed to become real chippy, Auger
drew the ire of the announcers with some extra-curricular activity behind
the play and for outright trying to pick a fight with some Union players.

OK, OK I'll get to the point...

Perhaps this somewhat skewed viewpoint is partially accurate.  Auger seems
to be the *type* of player to *goon* it up.  If this is the case, then
just maybe he had finally gotten to the RPI player for these behind the play
antics and the guy dusted him.  I'm not claiming that there shouldn't have
been a penalty to the RPI playerfor this type of cross-check.
But, if Auger spent less time pushing and shoving behind the play maybe
he could get into the play and make even more of a contribution than he
already is and the Big Red would have a better record.

Just my $$ worth of ramblings.  Can anyone else comment on Auger's style of
play (to me personally) ?

Eric Hoffman
Cornell '88
SUNY-Albany ???
Let's Go Red!!
"Watch out where the Huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow." (Zappa, RIP)