From:
Charles Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1992 19:44:26 -0600
I want to put in a bit about officiating.  There are several
officiating styles...

1.  call nothing
2.  call everything
3.  call some things but not others
4.  call the technical fouls

I've got no problem with either of the first two styles.  Buzzy and
Mark Rudolph seem to fall in the first category, and KC chermack seems
to fall in the second.  Jim Burlew seems to vacillate between the two.
The officials on the eastern trips I went on this year and last year
were about half in these categories.

The third and fourth categories are bad, and unfair.  I think Ned
Bunyan and Tim Mcconaghy fall in these categories.  Suppose an
official is calling "grabbing a stick" but not calling the extra three
or four shots when somebody's down.  This inconsistant officiating
favors a physical style of play at the expense of a finess style of
play.  Is it appropriate for a referee to dictate that a game must or
must not be physical?  How about the ref who calls the retaliation, but not
the initial shot?  Is that fair?

Player A has a hold of player B's stick.  Player B jerks the stick to
get it loose.  Player B jerks it again.  Player B jerks it a third
time, and it comes out of Player A's hand and hits player A in the
helmet.  Is that a holding on A, a high stick on B, coincinental's, or
no call?

charlie shub  [log in to unmask]      -or-        (719) 593-3492
  or even  cdash@colospgs (BITNET)  if the above address won't work