From:
Craig Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 01:03:38 -0600
Date sent:              Sun, 26 Mar 2000 23:27:15 -0500
From:                   Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>

> One point to note: Maine Captain Cory Larose was called for butt
> ending with under 5 minutes left in the Michigan game.
> It was announced as a 5 minute major and a game DQ which means
> that Larose will have to sit out the semi-final game. Needless to
> say, Shawn Walsh (who I could hear clearly from the opposite
> side of the arena all night) was rather vociferous in his comments to
> the referee all night. I have no no comment on the butt-ending call
> as it happened in a blind spot for me. But, considering that the
> recipient of the call got up and skated off
> under his own power (looking a little shaken up, but certainly not
> injured), I suspect that Walsh may have a point. I can see the major
> and a game misconduct, but a game DQ going into the semi-finals seems
> a bit harsh.

Butt-ending is an automatic major plus DQ per NCAA rules (noticed in
passing while looking up something else).  There is no discretion there
for the ref, not even to call a minor penalty.

--
 Craig Powers                   NU ChE class of '98
 [log in to unmask]       http://lynx.neu.edu/home/httpd/c/cpowers

"Good..bad....I'm the guy with the gun." -- "Ash" in *Army of Darkness*