From:
Scott McNey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott McNey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 08:48:11 -0500
Larry,

I agree with you completely that they should be students first, hockey
players second, and should never be hired guns.  That is one of the
things about other NCAA sports such as basketball where coaches recruit
star players for one champioship run.  This year our team has 3
Europeans, and they are all graduating, and to my knowledge, all 3 are
undrafted.  The other European players on the team are returning from
what I know.  Also it is much easier for the University of Minnesota
who have a population of 4,375,099 in state, and many more high school
hockey teams than Maine who have 1,227,928, and only 20 or so high
school hockey teams.  So, for Maine to be successful, it is imperitave
to recruit out of state, and out of country, albeit, most of our out of
country players are from Canada.

Scott