From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 12:42:52 -0400
Deron Treadwell wrote:

<<It isn't the softball team's fault (or women's hockey, or women's
basketball, etc.) that the COLLEGE chose to cut sports, rather than find
other ways to move into compliance.  Don't wish them ill.

> Many of us males (or at least male sports fans) may be distressed that our
> teams or favorite sports are cut because of Title IX, but it is not the
> fault of the female athletes.  The fact that whole men's sports teams must
> be cut to me shows that if we didn't have Title IX female athletes would
> have far less opportunities available.
>
> When a school chooses to cut sports to move into Title IX compliance, you
> have to ask why.  Many times the answer is simply that they don't want to
> cut money from other sports (the fat cats, so-to-speak).>>

I've gotta admit that I don't understand Title IX, but I don't see what
Providence's problem is.  A quick check of their website shows three
male-only sports (baseball, golf, and lacrosse), and three female-only
sports (field hockey, softball, and volleyball).  As for numbers, I'd guess
that they would more or less balance, or if anything, there would be more
women, since golf teams are typically pretty small.  Financial
considerations aside, I wonder why not add women's golf and/or lacrosse, or
add another women's sport, such as gymnastics.  Another odd thing is that
the problem that many schools have is football, since football teams are so
large relative to other sports.  But Providence doesn't have football.  I
note that women outnumber men in their student body by about 3:2, so perhaps
that's the problem.

Maybe it's too bad they already have a women's hockey team, because starting
one up may have saved the men's baseball team.

Joe Lacour said:

From watching the NHL, I think the 2 ref system DOES work, but it is sure
strange to see an off the play call.

I agree.  The other thing I think is strange (and IMO good to see) is when
something outrageous happens right in front of a referee and I think "He's
not gonna call that!?" and the OTHER ref makes the call.  My fear -- that
the ice would get cluttered -- doesn't seem to have happened.  Possibly
because NHL refs are pretty skilled at positioning and getting out of the
way, and possibly because the extra ref is stationed in an area that isn't
too crowded anyway.

Clay