From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 22:17:31 +0100
Larry Winer writes (ad nauseum)

>Just maybe there is one big time program that has a mission higher than
>importing Manitobans; Swedes; Finns; et al. This is the State Univiersity of
>Minnesota supported by and subsidized the taxpayers of  Minnesota. The
>Gophers play good competitive hockey and their policy of all Minnesotans has
>lead to the success of all the other college programs in Minnesota. This may
>come as a shock but there are colleges in Canada and they have teams-same for
>Finland et al. The NHL and D1 hockey would be stronger with more Americans in
>more parts of America.

Larry:  You are like a broken record.  Face it, coaches go where the
players are. For UNH, if there are not enough in New Hampshire (and there
are not) you go some place else. Same with Michigan, Ohio, North Dakota,
Vermont, Maine, Nebraska and all four (or is it 5) D1 schools in Minnesota.

From my vantage point, the biggest problem at Minnesota was not that they
were bringing in Minnesota kids, it was that they were bringing in
Minnesota *high school* kids.  Face it, 18 years old cannot compete with 23
year olds, for the most part.  UNH's own Mike Souza had a fantastic year
this year as a 21 year old junior.  He more than doubled his point
production from his first two years.  Why?  Because he had emotionally and
physically had matured.  Once Minnesota realizes that is the way to go, and
I bet Lucia already knows this, the U (Ycch!) will be back on top.

Greg Ambrose