From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 14:06:00 +0100
From Stan Willis:

>This was reported in todays LA Times Sports Sections
>
>Last week's college hockey championships at the Arrowhead Pond were such a
>success, in terms of populatiry and profitability, tha the NCAA wants Anaheim
>to bid
>for another Frozen Four.
>
>Stan

You know, the NCAA can do whatever they feel like doing.  And, I'm sure
that with the guarantee that Disney gave them, they will jump at the chance
to go back to the Pond.  But to refer to popularity is stretching it a
little bit.  I believe the Pond holds 17,000+ for hockey.  Therefore, for
three games it had a total capacity of about 52,000.  Although the
announced attendance (really ticket sales) was 12,000+ for both Thursday
games, I dare say that there were no more than 8,500 there in the
afternoon, and  maybe about 10,000 in the evening.  Couple that with the
14,000+ there for the championship and you have a total of maybe 33,000.
This is about 63% of capacity for the building.  That's popularity?
Profitability yes, thanks to Disney, popoularity no!

Greg Ambrose