From:
David Morgenstern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 08:14:19 -0400
To:   HOCKEY-L
Not sure of the timing of when Calipari left UMass (or snuck away before it
hit the fan is more like it) and Bulger took over as president of UMass but
he is probably the highest paid state employee and probably was even if
Calipari was still there (not including Calipari's endorsement contracts of
course).  Of course, Calipari will be the highest paid college coach when
he takes his next job, even if it has no salary, because the Nets must pay
him his entire contract - even if someone else hires him.  I don't know who
his agent is but he took the Nets to the cleaners.

Speaking of salaries, when comparing Parker's deal to Blais (and everyone
else) keep in mind that BU either bought, or pays the rent, on Parker's Bay
State Road (in Boston - Kenmore Sq for the non MA people) condo.  So while
he owns a home up on Cape Ann, his housing cost is not more than Blais.
Plus I believe Parker's deal is for 10 years (or was when he signed it).
Don't know about the length of Blais' deal but assuming the same 10 years
that would be an 850K difference in salary over 10 years.  More than enough
to make up the cost of living difference between greater Boston and Grand
Forks.  If anyone knows what the other coaches at the powerhouse schools
are making, I would be curious to hear it.

On the subject of large ice arenas, I know that Skydome holds ice shows
during the year and can make a regulation size (and possibly olympic - I
forgot the tour I took was years ago) rink.  That would probably be the
biggest ice venue in North America if they used all the seats plus what
they could put on the floor around the ice.  Unless someone could flood the
Superdome!  And if we insisted on keeping the game in the US, then the dome
in St Petersburg where they had the final 4 and the Devil Rays play
baseball used to house the Lightning.  I think they sold season tickets in
what would be the outfield bleachers for 90 dollars - for the whole season
(about 1.10 per game!).

Until he left to coach the Nets, John Calipari was the highest paid public
employee in Masschusetts.  I'd guess that in most states the highest paid
public employee is the coach of the flagship university's basketball or
football team.  Compared to basketball coaches, hockey coaches probably
make
a dime on the dollar.  For sure, Parker and Blais are exeptions to that.

Of course as Babe Ruth said when it was pointed out to him that he made
more
than the President of the US, "I had a better year than he did."

Clay