From:
Chuq Von Rospach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuq Von Rospach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 21:22:03 -0700
At 1:25 PM -0700 4/7/99, Tony Buffa wrote:
> Well, how about once every six years then ?

As someone who's been involved in organizations that do put on yearly
events, and get to listen to members say "why don't you ever put the
<name your event> in THIS city?" every year, I need to point
something out...

You can't put an event in a city that doesn't want it.

More importantly, you can't put an event into a city unless someone
(or a group of someones) who organize and put in the time to set up
all of the agreements needed to make the event happen, and then put
in the time to make it happen.

I'm going to be exploring these issues in the next few weeks here in
San Jose. The basic reality is if the Sharks aren't interested, it'll
never happen, so that's first. And if we go to step two, it'll be
looking for a group of people to work together to try to make it
happen. I know better than to think it's a one-person job, even with
the Sharks cooperation and support.

So if you want it in Portland or Seattle, it won't happen by magic.
(Seattle won't happen at all. the management of Key Arena isn't
receptive to hockey, so I wouldn't bother. In Portland, you need to
convince the Trailblazers, not the Winterhawks, but I'd say that
would really be worth a shot...)

It's not a matter of the championships coming west every year, five
years, or ten years. It'll only happen when groups of people get
together and convince the NCAA that it makes sense to do it, in a
location that's appropriately sized and available at the right time.
And if western locations can't find the organizational energy to make
these things happen, they shouldn't get the tourneys.

--
Chuq Von Rospach (Hockey fan? <http://www.plaidworks.com/hockey/>)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:[log in to unmask])

Featuring Winslow Leach at the Piano!