From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 22:02:12 +0100
Deron Treadwell writes:

>--- Jeff Kennedy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Conklin played reasonably well and was hurt by his own D more than
>> anything
>> but a 3-0 lead would have forced Umile to do something to change
>> momentum.
>> The rebounds were there all weekend but no one close to capitalize
>> most of
>> the time.
>> It's ironic, the knock on Matile for most of his career (soft goals
>> this
>> season) has been the big rebounds he gives up.
>
>I felt bad for Sean Matile ever since the HE Tournament when he took
>permanent residence on the bench.  Here is a senior who carried UNH to
>the Final Four last year and he was relegated to the bench behind a
>guy, who by comparison, was unproven in the postseason.
>
>Too bad to see a good goaltender like Matile finish his career on the bench.

Quite simply, Umile had lost confidence in Matile.  As you know, there was
a pretty heated controversy about Matile vs. Conklin all season at UNH.
Umile stuck with Sean throughout the season but, in the end, had to make
the decision just as Parker did a couple of years ago when it was Larocque
vs. Noble.

Yes it's sad to see any senior end his career on the bench.  But it happens
all the time with forwards and defensemen.  It's just more magnified with
goalies.  Ultimately, Umile (and most fans) felt Conklin was playing better
at the end of the season than Matile and that's why he went with him.

And, BTW, Conklin did not play bad in the Maine game.  He only allowed
three goals in 70 minutes.  He just didn't play as well as Michaud.

Greg Ambrose
GO UNH BLUE!!!