From:
Jim Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 20:11:02 -0700
> Oh, and I was most disappointed with the paltry BC contingent. Granted
> it is the smallest of the FF schools (not by much, though). The
> fact that I don't think the BC mascot made the trip (maybe I just
> didn't catch him) says something about the dedication.
>
> Was it me, or does UMaine have the most fans, there?  It was tough to
> tell between UNH or Maine.

I also noticed that there were very few BC fans and, in contrast to Maine
and UNH, they were much younger, i.e. college kids.
I'd say it was pretty close between UNH and Maine for the most fans.  During
the finals it seemed, to me at least, that there were more "neutral" fans
cheering for Maine at first (maybe due to the Kariya connection?) but
towards the end of the game and in overtime it seemed the "neutral" fans
were cheering for both teams.

Another thing that I thought was strange was the entire Michigan State
section in the corner (section 219, I believe) was almost empty for the
championship game (it later filled in with other fans moving down for better
seats).  I would've thought that they would want to see the title game, even
if they weren't in it.  Also, it was pretty cold and windy outside (for
Anaheim) so it's not like going to the beach or Disneyland was that
enticing.

As an aside, I thought the Michigan State Brass was, by far, the best band
and the UAA Seawolf was the best mascot.

Band rankings:

MSU - best variety of songs and most talented
Maine - cool jerseys (rugby style shirts)
BC - not great, not bad
UNH - better than when I was there but still need work, the school should at
least get them nice uniforms or something.

Mascot rankings:
UAA - best costume, most active (although non-existent for the semifinal
games)
Maine - funny stripping act, beat Wild E. Cat in mock hockey game (but in
Wild E. Cat's defense, she is much smaller than Bananas)
UNH - good costume, good spirit
MSU - didn't skate but good costume
BC - no show (maybe missed the flight because he was hungover after a wild
night at the Purple Shamrock)