From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne T. Smith
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:16:47 EST
CathyH wrote in the ME-Hockey list, in part..
>Maine Hockey lost a true friend and dedicated volunteer yesterday when Rich
>Britt died in an auto accident.  We will all miss his smiling face.

Richard was found by his parents last night, pinned under his pickup
truck, in his driveway in Ellsworth.  A Larry Mahoney article in today's
Bangor Daily News may be viewed (today) at

   http://www.bangornews.com/Sports/SportsFrame.html

Usually the words come to me easily when writing for this forum of
friends.  Not so in this case.

I came to know Richard Britt, then Dicky, and his parents, several years
ago at John Bapst Memorial High School in Bangor.  We were all
interested in ice hockey and they were instrumental in creating the
varsity ice hockey program that would start the next year.  Dicky and my
son Justin were often paired on defense that first year, and it was
quite a ride.  Dicky's parents Andy and Anne were key to the support and
successful building of that program (along with many others).

Then and in the years that followed, if you knew the Britt's, you knew
you had a friend and were in good company.

Richard was the type of person that could make anyone smile.  Be it his
wit or his smile or showing that he liked being with you, recognized you
when you think of yourself as a face in the crowd.  People respected him
and liked him.

Where Richard also excelled was in his work ethic.  Richard would always
have a good time, but was never afraid of work.  He never looked for
handouts and was always willing to give of himself.  Perhaps these are
some of the reasons coach Walsh kept him "with the team" as he went to
school at Husson College in Bangor.

He graduated from Husson this past December.  Richard was 23.

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L and Hockey3