Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 17:44:55 -0500
-- [ From: Kepler * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Bill wrote:

> when the goalie is outside either the crease
> or the protected area (which is a box formed by connecting the two faceoff
dots
> in the defensive zone and extending lines straight back to the back boards
from
> those dots), he's "just another skater" (snip)

I assume there's a special case for when the goalie is being pulled, and
thus needs to skate through "non goalie" territory to get off.  The goalie
is not permitted to play the puck beyond the red line anyway, but what would
happen if the goalie was on his way out, had not yet been replaced, and then
covered up a loose puck between his blue line and the red?  Or, what if the
puck came to him and an enemy skater checked him, *hard* but legally?

I'm guessing that few refs would whistle delay in the former case.  The
latter case could get ugly, since though technically legal the check could
lead to reprisals.

--

*  Greg Berge