From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rowe, Thomas
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 11:23:57 -0600
I have been following the early season scores with some interest (as, I
am sure, has been everyone else) and have noted that several teams which
were picked to do well are not doing so well while a few teams projected
as doormats (or at least used to be doormats) are anything but.

Consider the success of UNO - how many of us wondered "Can they be
competitive just starting a program from scratch?"  Yeah, they can.  A
split with Denver and a split with Minn-Duluth gives them a lot of
credence.  How about the success of Alaska-Anchorage?  The Seawolves are
looking like they could be top tier in the WCHA.  Mankato State is
winning a few.  Ohio State, 5-3-1 overall, is looking not too bad.  The
Badgers are doing great compared with preseason preditictions.  OTOH,
CC is having some difficulties, at least in respect to where people
thought they would be.

My point:  There was a great post to the list by Karen Heasley who
explained why CC is struggling.  Thanks, Karen.  Earlier I posted a
short note on the Badgers pointing out Bill Howard, who pulls no punches
and whom I believe to be a world-class analyst of the game, said the
Badger looked pretty good with lots of new speed.  That could explain
their early success.  That's what HOCKEY-L is designed for.  Scores,
recaps, standings - they just don't tell the story.  What we need is
more and more reports with explanations and opinions from those who have
seen the games to tell us what those scores and standings really mean.

Topic change:  With regard to penalty minutes as part of box scores.  I
have to agree with Adam Wodon on this one.  I have seen games that I
thought were officiated great, others where I thought the refs were
terrible.  I bet everyone has.  Furthermore, I have seen good
officiating with very few penalties, good with many penalties, and good
with uneven penalties.  Likewise all combinations with bad officiating.
Therefore, reporting penalties doesn't really say anything useful.

OTOH [Soapbox mode ON] penalty minutes WITH A COMMENTARY on the
officiating can be very meaningful.  Without the commentary, what can I
possibly conclude? Now, if those who are willing to post this
information are also at the game and willing to comment....[Soapbox OFF]

That's just my opinion - carries no more weight than anyone elses, maybe
less.  If you guys want to slug it out on the list, OK by me - just try
to keep the kid gloves on and remember the other people feel just a
strongly they are right as you do.  I loved the line in the film Ghandi
where he said "You'll find there's room for us all."  Hockey-L is a
great list to read precisely because we take pains to live by that
maxim.

Cheers

Tom Rowe  -  Hockey-L Administrator
Department of Psychology