From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 00:26:05 -0400
At 5:32 PM -0500 11/4/96, Adam Wodon-Around the Rinks wrote:
> I see the semi-annual ECAC bashing has begun already.
>
> Let me just say that I don't understand the mentality that drives people
>to put
> down, demean or otherwise ridicule the ECAC.

I've got to be honest and say I just don't see it.  Putting aside an
occasional comment by fans here or there, I don't hear people ridiculing
the ECAC or any other conference, not among those I talk to anyway.  At the
same time, the cries of "no respect" often do seem to come from ECAC
followers, and in the light of what I just said, it doesn't make sense to
me.

I don't know what causes it, but before I ever hear anyone seriously
putting down the ECAC, I tend to hear ECAC people making that claim of "no
respect".  But for example, I'm not hearing it from Hockey East people when
only two teams are ranked in the AtR/USCHO Top Ten.

Perhaps it is a case of me becoming jaded in my old age :-), but the
discussion of which conference is better or worse, or which one gets
respect and which doesn't, seems pointless and unproductive.  I'd rather
watch what happens on the ice.

You can make almost any case you want to try to show that one conference is
better or worse than another.  There's no real answer.  People who know the
game know which teams are good and which ones have a ways to go.  Those
teams span all the conferences as is shown in the polls, rankings, and most
importantly, the results on the ice.

And as far as the ECAC goes, it's clear that like every conference, they
have their national contenders and their weak sisters.  And even the top
teams will lose to lower teams from other conferences while the weaker
teams will pull the occasional upset.  It happens.

BTW, based on what I saw this weekend and their showings against Maine and
UNH, Colgate is one of the top teams in the ECAC and possibly in the
nation.  The Red Raiders have a strong team and are going to match up well
with whomever they play.  They have scoring, good special teams, physical
play, and solid goaltending.  I expect them to finish much higher than
their sixth place selection by the coaches.  Likewise, Union under new
coach Stan Moore (formerly of Colgate) is going to surprise those who
picked them 11th.  The Dutchmen play hard, create chances, have superb
goaltending, and play tough defense.  I'll be shocked if they miss the
playoffs.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****