From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 23:39:17 -0400
At 2:42 PM -0500 11/4/96, Kevin Coty wrote:
> I was watching the game on Prime and they had a mic on the officials.
> While Piotrowski (sp?) was explaining the call to the captains I heard him
> say that a major and game misconduct for checking from behind was a rule
> change for this year.

Sort of...according to the revised rule 6-20, "Hitting from behind into the
side boards, end boards or goal cage is a flagrant violation and the
offending player shall be assessed a major and game misconduct penalty.  A
disqualification penalty also may be assessed."

The referee may otherwise assess a minor or major at his own discretion.

BTW, the change in the rule from last year only involves a few words.  Last
year, it was, "...and the offending player shall be assessed a major or a
disqualification penalty."  The discretionary minor/major was in place last
year.

> BTW, I thought the mic on the officals was a great idea.  How long have
> they been doing this?  It's nice to hear the explination ( or is some cases
> justification) of a questionable call or for that matter, any
> call/non-call.

Agreed...I've noticed it for a number of years now during CCHA games on
PASS or Prime.  It certainly adds something to the broadcast.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****