From:
"Robert H. Gross" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert H. Gross
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 23:59:01 EST
--- Deron Treadwell wrote:
I can't recall the exact context in which INFO-HOCKEY-L was established, but a
year later, I believe it was for those who wanted "just the facts" and wanted
to avoid the high volume of discussion.
--- end of quoted material ---
OK. I'll stick my two cents in on this.

One reason I can recall for splitting the lists is that there was too much talk
about topics only peripherally related to hockey - pep bands, new uniforms,
school mascots, team colors, etc. - and it began to overwhelm the information
about and discussion of hockey topics. I recall throwing out vast amounts of
mail that remained unread based on the subject line, although sometimes I
"threw out the baby with the bath water". Splitting the lists helped eliminate
that problem.

About the volume of postings. There have been some very valid comments made
about list volume. I know that maintaining the Dartmouth site takes time and
that reduces the likelihood that I will actually sit down and write a story
about the Dartmouth games. Certainly another reason for decreased postings at
this time is that (believe it or not) some schools are just starting their
seasons - this produces a lack of comments and discussion because no games have
been played ;-). The Ivy league will only get started next weekend and the ECAC
only started last weekend. As the season gets going, there will be more
activity on the list.

As one of the folks who have been involved with the hockey-L lists since its
inception, I am happy with the current situation of two lists and would not
want to go back to a single list. Perhaps all folks who subscribe to hockey-L
should automatically get subscribed to info-hockey-L (but not vice versa)? I
know that reading the hockey-L digests and subscribing to info-hockey-L exactly
fits my needs - and " haven't "thrown out any babies" recently :-).

Bob Gross