From:
Ken Kretsch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 12:53:02 EST
All this talk on UIC dropping hockey reminds me of a recent phone call
on a local radio sports talk show. The caller was basicly decrying the
dismal state of college basketball in Chicago (and NYC, too). Perhaps
UIC seeks to fill that void, as well as ride on coat tails of the Bulls.

It's also interesting that UIC could not make a go at hockey. When I
lived in northern Illinois in the late sixties Blackhawk tickets were
always harder to get than Bulls tickets. Of course those were good years
for the Blackhawks, not so for the Bulls, but I suspect that was the
case up until Michael Jordan.

Of course there are several good NHL cities that do not support a
competative DI hockey program. New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh come
to mind. And there's at least one good D1 hockey city that can't support
the NHL :-).

Ken Kretsch             | "Coach, my Mom wants me to live for my Bar Mitzvah"
BU '79                  | "Goldberg, this is your Bar Mitzvah. Today you
[log in to unmask]        |  become a man!"