From:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 06:40:46 -0900
Is it really true, as the UIC administrators claimed, that if they hadn't
killed the hockey program by April 10 and had waited say another day or
week, that the UIC players would then not be allowed to transfer to another
school next year without penalty?  Even if true, I wouldn't want to be
deciding where to go to school next year at the end of March.  If they had
really wanted to be fair to the players, this decision should have been
made months ago and the players would have been told right then.

I just love how they say the non-renewal of Pedrie as hockey coach "opened
a window of opportunity" and that there's absolutely no connection between
hiring Jimmy Collins as basketball head coach, promising to upgrade the
basketball program, and killing the hockey program.  Sure!

Again, to the UIC players and hockey fans, my deepest condolences.  To the
rest of us hockey fans, remember this could happen to you too.

Chicago Tribune "death notice" for UIC hockey is at

http://www.chicago.tribune.com/print/sports/current/sports/9603290061.html