From:
Howard Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Howard Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 23:43:24 -0500
>...  I do understand the criteria where the conference tourny champions get a
>spot automatically and that is how Providence and Harvard got in and BG didn't.

For the record, Cornell won the ECAC tournament, not Harvard, and received
the automatic bid.

>I just think it's sad to see that a team like BG who did what they did at the
>end of the season didn't get the chance to move on.

I believe that Providence's upsets to win the Hockey East tournament are
what did in Bowling Green.  All of the other teams in the NCAA tournament
were right up there in the rankings, and all of the other automatic bid
recipients would have been reasonable at-large choices as well.  It's
difficult as a fan to have circumstances rather than ability determine the
team's fate, but that's just the way things happen sometimes.  Somewhere
down the line, things will even out, and teams that caught unlucky breaks
at one point will come out ahead (and vice versa).

Howie

Howard Stein                                       Go Big Red!
Cornell '91                                        Kill, Schafer, Kill!