From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 23:19:51 -0100
At 9:12 PM 3/25/96, Brian Morris wrote:
>Sorry to about the heavily laced sarcasm, but I would like to hear some logical
>evidence to support the idea to return to campus sites in the East.  The only
>credible argument IMHO is the Mike Machnik opinion that the games belong to
>the students.  That would leave a lot of Get-a-Lifers out of the picture
>however.

Well, I'm not sure that I ever espoused this opinion.  I do think that most
of the more exciting NCAA games I have seen in the early rounds have been
ones that took place at campus sites, but those were also during the days
of two or three game series.

At the Knick, the atmosphere Saturday night, especially in the Vermont-LSSU
game, did approach a fever pitch.  The fact that there were 12,000 people
and most of them seemed to be rooting for Vermont played a big part in
that.

In the East, neutral sites seem to work reasonably well for the regionals.
That is probably because most Eastern fans are close enough to be able to
get there within a few hours.  The West does not have this situation.

For the record, I believe the games belong to the teams first.  Anything
else is secondary.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93