Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 09:44:59 -0600
>I totally agree with Jim Evans' assessment of the ridiculous call against
>UMD's Rick Mrozik.  Anyone who watches WCHA hockey knows this type of
>scuffle in front of the net occurs many times in every game.  Usually a
>couple roughing minors are given and that's it.  This incident was no
>different than any other - yet the refs decided to dish out a DQ to
>Mrozik.  If I'm correct this is his second DQ so he is out for 3 games.
>His first DQ was for leaving the bench during a scuffle against Tech
>earlier this year.  So, UMD's best defensemen has two DQ's without
>actually ever fighting.  Say he gets jumped some game and actually does
>throw a punch for protection - he would be DQ'd for the season.  Is this
>fair?

Mrozik didn't get a fighting major.  He got the new penalty for "Punching".
This does not count towards the cumulative DQ total.  I'm not even sure if
it mandates a suspension form the next game, but someone is probably about
to let me know that my speculation is wrong.

>In addition to the many incidents pointed out by Jim Evans that were
>not called, there was another extremely blatent one:  a slash by UM's Dan
>Trebil broke 3 bones in the hand of UMD forward Chet Culic in Friday's
>game. No call was made.
>I have a hard time believing all WCHA teams are getting a fair shake in
>this league.

I think the paranoia needs to subside just a bit.  I suspect that this
slash didn't get called because it wasn't seen by the official.
Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens all the time, to us big schools
as well as the small ones.  You don't want to get me started on the
officiating in last year's Minnesota-Colorado College WCHA semi-final.

J. Michael Jackson