From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 1995 16:29:43 EST
I originally wrote:
> >Taylor and Cole did not distinguish themselves in the second.  It was my
> >impression that UML had more penalties than Maine did in the second (at least
> >at the beginning) and I don't think I've ever seen Bruce Crowder as upset with
> >the officiating as he was during that period.  Some coaches yap all the time,
> >but not Bruce.  And he was livid on several occasions.  It seemed to me that
> >he had a right to be but I haven't watched the period on tape yet.

D B Doucette responded:
> The UNL fans objected strongly to one call - the goal called back.  Otherwise,
> they were rather quiet.  As usual, Maine fans were more loud, more often.

You obviously were in the Maine section.  Perhaps over there the UML fans
didn't seem loud.  But over on the UML side, the Maine fans seemed invisible
with the exception of a couple of cheers.  (That's not to say that the average
Maine fan isn't louder than the average UML fan.  They are.)  In any case, fan
noise is highly subjective based on which section you are sitting.  I'm gonna
avoid getting sucked into a dispute on this until I've had time to adequately
discuss The Larries, Pep Bands, and cold or hot water for the Zamboni.  :-)

In any case, although it may be subjective which fans were loudest, to say that
"UML fans objected strongly to one call - the goal called back" is completely
wrong.  We were ticked off the entire first and second periods and were
voicing our opinions.  Taylor, more so than Cole, was getting constant grief.

All that said, fans aren't a good measure of objecting to calls.  However,
when a normally quiet coach like Crowder is as animated with the officiating
as he was, then you know something is up.  I've heard parts of the tape and
it should also be pointed out that in the mini-interviews with players after
the first and second periods, the UML players made references to "having to
play the game and letting the coaches worry about the officials."  Although
I take any player reactions with a grain of salt since they aren't supposed
to remain calm and objective, clearly the UML players thought they were getting
jobbed.

> >Yeah, Mahoney said something and got tossed right away.  I'll try to check the
> >tape for more info than that.  As I recall I felt Mahoney had something to be
> >upset about, although he must have George Carlin-ed his objections.

> What happened (I saw it directly) was this: Shawn Wansborough was being led off
> the ice by two teammates after a knee-to-knee collision.  About half way from
> the point he went down, and only 5 feet or so from the dasher exit beside the
> Maine bench, Mahoney skated over and said something.  Wansborough turned around
> (with some effort) apparently in reply and was shortly escorted off the
> ice; Mahoney skated away.  (Shawn did return in the 3rd period).  Almost
> immediately afterward, Taylor skated over to Mahoney, put hands on hips and
> tossed the Lowell player.  Methinks the Lowell player was tossed for
> taunting.

No.  I rechecked the tape and he got tossed because of what he said to the
ref.  This was about 10 seconds after he was clearly hooked as he was about
to get a shot off from about 5-10 feet in front of Allison.  This seemed to
be a clear penalty and since this was in the second period when they were
blowing the whistle for seemingly everything, not making this call was enough
to enrage Mother Theresa.

At another point in the game, I believe, someone else (Ed Campbell?) did get
an Unsportsmanlike penalty because of something like what you mentioned.  In
fact, I now remember yelling when Mahoney got hooked, "How can you call
Unsportsmanlike penalties and ignore the hooks?  Taylor you're a STIFF!"  :-)

So Mahoney got tossed because of something he said to the officials about
their blatant non-call.

BTW, this game is the only time I recall mentioning officiating in a game
report.  Although I'll holler to try to give my team a home ice advantage,
I try to keep my reports objective.  (i.e., Dr. Jekyll returns.)

DaveH