From:
"Mark J. Sonnier" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark J. Sonnier
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 1995 07:07:11 -0800
Mike Machnik wrote:

>Rob Grover asked me to forward this to HOCKEY-L for him.
>People always seem to talk about goalies.  I have a question though- what
>makes a goalie a good goalie?  The easy answer is save percentage.  However,
>many critics make comments and say that a goalie isn't that good because he
>doesn't face tough shots(i.e. BU's Noble).  Maine's Marsh has a better save
>percentage than Allison, but Allison is an All-American goalie and has
>started in all but a handful of games(at least one Marsh start came because
>Ali had the flu-Maine/Brown).

I can't pass up a chance to sound off on behalf of my fellow goalies...

First, you've hit upon the fundamental question levelled at all goaltenders,
from the NHL down to us pond hockey types.  I think the best OVERALL measure
of a goalie is wins.  Now before you all utter a collective *duh* think about
the intangibles.  Save percentage is nice, goals against is really a
defensive unit stat but wins reflect the goalie's leadership ability.
Allison's play last year is a good example of this.  While he wasn't
stringing together Lacher-esque save or shutout numbers (Blair's weren't bad,
mind you) he helped lead the team with his play and his attitude.  In the
games I saw him play, he never displayed the mouthy, whiner style I've grown
to loathe among my brethren and sistren (?) between the pipes - you know who
you are...  Overall, I thought Allison appeared to be a steading influence on
his team.

>Some goalies challenge the shooter while others sit back and wait for a
>puck.  Is there an advantage to either?  Does a particular style make one a
>bad/good goalie?  In SI a few years ago(last year?), there was an article
>about goalies who use the butterfly technique.  It appears that many young
>goalies are adopting this technique because successful NHL goalies use it.
>Is it better to stay on your feet or drop into the butterfly?

These things are often a direct reflection of the competition level and how a
goalie's defense plays out front.  Goaltending is a lot like gambling: you
have to play the odds.  As more shooters get better at playing the low
corners, butterfly goalies proliferate.  Of course, an individiual
netminder's size, speed, skills and confidence determine tendencies like
playing angles, coming out of the net, etc.  From personal experience, I can
tell you that when playing against Div. I caliber shooters, a goalie *has* to
be able to take away that on-the-ice slapper from between the circles.  This
is a direct result of better shooting, not flopping goalies.

>Discussion of the Maine-Mass Lowell game seems to indicate that Fillion
>should not have dropped to the ice for Roenick's first shot attempt.  Could
>that have been the difference in the game?  Does that make him a bad goalie?
>At what point does a goalies leadership ability counteract his shot-saving
>ability?  In other words: is it better to have a not-so-good goalie on the
>ice if he motivates the team?  Sorry for so many questions on my first post-
>but since goalies are such an important part of the game, I wondered what
>qualities make one a good goalie.

I didn't see the game.  That said, I'll return to my Vegas analogy.  A goalie
must stop the first shot, period.  Playing rebounds correctly or setting up a
long clearing pass are great, but you've got to make that first save.  Often,
goalies don't have the luxury of waiting to see if a player is shooting or
fanning.  These shooters are so quick that if you don't react immediately
you'll never be effective.  Believe me, you look a lot dumber standing up and
getting your pocket picked in close than going down to force a shot or pass.
 Second-guessing is fine for armchair coaches and Dallas Cowboy fans but too
much analysis belittles the snap decisions a goalie must make at that level.

Again, a good goalie is by definition a good leader.  Communicating with your
defensemen, offering encouragement to your forwards and helping your coach by
shutting your mouth on occasion are all part of the mix.

Nuff said...

Mark

Mark J. Sonnier, C.P.M.                                 Voice (907)786-6505
Purchasing Agent                                          Fax (907)786-6515
University of Alaska Anchorage           e-mail: [log in to unmask]
  UAF Hockey fans say: "With Cody Bowtell on the ice, who needs defense?"