From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 1995 22:15:52 -0400
>Steve Twombly <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>>I think this is the only problem.....when is Merrimack going
>>to improve?  This was supposed to be THE year, but they have
>>been at or near the cellar all year once again.

Machnik replied (in part)
>Well, I have said a number of times that if there was to be a "year"
>sometime soon, it wasn't going to be this year but next...There is a much
>better chance that next season will >be better overall than this year, and I
>believed that before this season began.
>
>I think that where the talent comes into play is that if you forget
>BU & Maine, and maybe also UNH, then Merrimack is very competitive
>with the other five HE teams in terms of talent level, looking up and
>down the lineup.  Some teams have one or two better individual players
>but not as much depth.

So, here goes...
I follow Merrimack quite closely as is it the closest rink to my home for
Maine away games, and that some very involved alumni are friends of mine.
So, I am
hoping for success on their part.  I have another reason:

Remember, as you saw on this list, the recent announcement of the new rink
to be designed by the same people who brought you the new UNH facility.  If
a better facility is any indicator, I believe nearly all Div. 1 teams
moving to a new rink have had a better record in the season in the new
facility than the year before.  New rinks are great recruiting tools.
UMass-Lowell should get the same benefit shortly with their new downtown
rink (shared with AHL franchise) coming.

Perhaps some of you number crunchers could confirm/deny my contention that
teams
improve their first year in new rinks...BTW, I mean overall record, not
just the
more logical "better at home".  Its a pick-me-up for an entire program, all
year.  But then the shine wears off.