From:
Adam Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 13:54:27 -0400
+Ryan R Bowman wrote:
+
+ In every sport players will be abused by fans. If the players are
+ seriously affected by this they should get out.  Yell all you want, just
+ don't throw crap on the ice.  It's part of the home ice advantage.  Just
+ go to a Minnesota vs St. Cloud State game at St. Cloud.  They have more
+ obscenities in organized cheers than I have ever heard.  It may be rude,
+ but it is part of the home ice advantage.  I can take that as long as
+ fans refrain from throwing stuff on the ice.  I was at the Minn/UND game
+ up in Grand Forks where numerous all sport bottles were tossed on the
+ ice after the game.  So let them yell, just don't let them throw.

  Well, if you are willing to be rude and obnoxious in the name of
"home ice advantage", that is up to you.  But, don't be surprised if
other people then call you (and perhaps your team) rude and obnoxious.

  For my part, I could very well do without the vulgarities and
degrading remarks.  I feel that it reflects badly on my program and
team to hear such things from fellow fans.  When I was a freshman at
BU in 1985 and attended my first BU home game, I thought it was fun to
learn the rehearsed cheers and obnoxious taunts, including all of the
vulgarities and degrading remarks.  Having been to many more games
since and most particularly having attended many more roads games and
games not even involving BU, I have come to realize that you can have
a home ice advantage without being vulgar and degrading.  [Maine has
quite an intimidating crowd, and the only vulgarities and degrading
remarks I've ever heard came from some drunken individuals.  The other
Maine fans actually apologized to us about them.]

  I am happy to say that BU no longer has as many vulgar and degrading
cheers as they did when I was a freshman.  There are still a few that
crop up, but it is no longer done by the entire student section, and
they even tell others to knock that sort of stuff off if they hear
them.  Quite a pleasant change if you ask me.  I don't think it has
hampered BU's performances at home either, as their home record over
the last few years has been as good or better than most years.

  Anyway, if you want to be vulgar and degrading in your cheers,
visitors will notice it and comment on it, and they probably won't
respect you for it.   I don't buy the argument that you have to be
vulgar and degrading to have "home ice advantage".

adam
BU '89
ps. I definitely agree that there should never be stuff thrown on the
ice, unless it's hats or perhaps a single dead fish. :)
--
Adam Bryant                            List Administrator, High School Hockey
[log in to unmask]                      to join: [log in to unmask]