From:
Ed Matisik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ed Matisik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 1995 22:06:51 EST5EDT
The "Hansen" brothers in "Slapshot" were actually Jim, Jack, and
Steve Carlson, who, I believe, played for U. of Minnesota in the early
'70s.  They later went on to play for the Johnstown Jets in the old
North American Hockey League where they led the team to a
championship in, I believe, 1976.  All three brothers were property of the
Minnesota Fighting Saints, the parent club of the Jets, and
eventually played briefly for them.  Steve Carlson also played
for the Whalers, coached the Johnstown Chiefs in the present
East Coast Hockey League for a few years, then took the helm of the
Memphis team in the Federal Hockey League.  I'm not sure what
happened to the other two brothers.  The only other college hockey
person I know of in "Slapshot" was a goalie with a bushy mustache, who
was actually Ron Docken, goalie for U. of Minnesota at Duluth in the
early '70's.  (Louie Levasseur, a former Edmonton goalie, plays the
French-Canadian goalie in the movie.  Dave Hanson, a long-time minor
league player in the NAHL, AHL, and IHL switched names with Carlson
in the movie.  Nancy Dowd, wife of long-time minor leaguer Ned Dowd,
wrote the screenplay based on her husband's experience with the
Jets.)

-- Ed Matisik
Boston U. '84
GO TERRIERS!  NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!
-- native of Johnstown, Pa., site of filming of "Slapshot"
-- an extra in "Slapshot" (I played saxophone in the band in the
move)
Go B.U.!  Go B.U.!
Down the ice to score anew!
We'll fight for our alma mater,
Onward to sure victory!
Go B.U.!  Go B.U.!
Our hearts are with you as you beat the foe.
Onward, old B.U.!  Let's go!