From:
Matthew M Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew M Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 1995 09:09:44 -0500
 Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>  wrote:

>Now, I'm not a recruiting expert, but why was Woog being criticized
(if that was the case)? Seems to me that the Gophers have been doing
pretty well with only Minnesota residents.

I think Woog is usually criticized when his team starts slow, like in the
past few years.  People say that it's time for a change, that he's limiting
himself, or somehow clinging to a form of isolationalism.  This usually
dies out when the Gophers start winning.  This year was particularly
difficult because many of his freshman needed the ice time to become good
players, and because of the ground the Gophers lost early in the season it
was the first time a Woog coached Gopher team didn't finish in the top 2 of
the WCHA.  All forgotten now that they went to the Frozen Four.

My
criticism is from two angles.  One is that the "isolationism" limits the
players exposer to other breeds of hockey players.  The players play
Minnesota high school hockey, then maybe some USHL.  One way to think of it
is Denver is an international team, giving their players, and students at
the university a broad mix of cultures, whereas MN gives you a pure-bread.
(I'll take Brett Hull on my team any day)

The second point, coming from a UM-Duluth fan, is that Woog has the ability
to pull in 5 of the top 6 prospects every year.  Of course his "unfair"
recruiting advantage comes from the suburban Twin Cities players growing up
wanting to be Gophers.

I say let the Gophers do what they want.  They have one of the best
marketing angles in college hockey.

Matt Evans
Minnesota '89
UMD '92