From:
Dean Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dean Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 11:06:01 -0600
Pam Sweeney writes:

> I was NOT impressed with the Wisconsin fans however.  I certainly have no
> trouble with the sportsmanship of the sieve chant, but when the Gophers
> were leading 5-2 at the end of the game and their fans gave them a
> standing O, the Cheeseheads (having finally arrived, in anticipation of
> the upcoming Badgers game) saw fit to boo this.  And then when the Gophers
> did their traditional celebration (a raised-stick salute of the
> fans at center ice), the fans booed that too.  Now THAT's bad sportsmanship
> in my book.   I'm sure the Gophers will remember it, though.  Bonin and
> Larson were laughing and waving their sticks at the crowd, probably just
> egging on the Gopher supporters.  And I'll certainly remember it before I
> post any more kind words about the Badgers.  (The Dane County
> fans aren't shaking in their boots about this, I'm sure, but the fact is
> I lost any remaining respect I may have had for them.)

Oh come on Pam, you cannot tell me that the Gopher fans in Mariucci
would not have done the EXACT same thing to the Badgers if the players
in Red & White would have pulled the same stunt. When the Gophers did their
little "salute" they were intentionally showing the Badger fans up and
rubbing their noses in it. The players knew that, that's why they were
laughing it off. Now I'm not too familiar with the U of M or the
U of W, but I am familiar with the border battle between the two states,
and I know that you are just bashing Wisconsin for the sake of bashing
them.

-Dean