From:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 1994 13:30:30 +0000
Saturday, December 3, 1994
Houston Field House, Troy, NY
ECAC League Game

Union   0 2 1 - 3
RPI     1 1 2 - 4

Scoring:
1st Period:
1) RPI, Brick 3, (Richardson, Perardi) 7:37 (pp)

2nd Period:
2) RPI, Rochon 1 (Hamelin, Tapper) 8:26
3) Union, Troy Stevens 2 (Monteith, Goulet) 18:14
4) Union, Russ Monteith 6 (Ford, Stevens) 18:42

3rd Period:
5) Union, Chris Ford 5 (Stevens, Boyd) 3:56
6) RPI, Healey 6 (Bartell, O'Connor) 6:14
7) RPI, Matthews 2 (O'Connor) 19:19

Shots on goal: Union 11-11-14--36, RPI 5-6-14--25.

Goaltenders: Union, Mike Gallant, 0-3-1 (25 shots, 21 saves)
             RPI, Tamburro, 6-2-0 (36 shots, 33 saves)

Power play: Union 0 of 6, RPI 1 of 3

Attendance: 4778

After a period and a half of slow, boring hockey, Union and RPI put on
a great show with RPI coming out on top, 4-3.  After RPI took a 2-0
lead, Union came back to tie and eventually take a 3-2 lead.  However,
RPI was able to come back and take a 4-3 win with the game-winner
coming with just 41 seconds left in regulation.

I have to disagree with those who have said they thought that RPI
dominated the first period and most of the second.  Just look at the
shots on goal.  RPI had a terrible time getting anything going, and the
puck spent a lot of time in the Union offensive zone.  Mike Tamburro
did a great job to hold the Dutchmen scoreless for the first 38
minutes of the game.  With RPI up 2-0 late in the second, it was a big
Mike Gallant save on a breakaway by RPI's Chris Maye that turned
things around.  The Dutchmen came right back and scored 2 quick goals
by the newly reunited line of Troy Stevens, Chris Ford, and Russ
Monteith.  That line came through again early in the third to give
Union a 3-2 lead.  I would have to say that Union had the better
chances for the first part of the third, but RPI scored their tying
goal when Gallant got a piece of a shot by Eric Healey but it trickled
past him and into the net.  Union missed another big chance when a
Chris Hancock shot hit the post.  Late in the third, RPI really turned
it on.  Gallant made some very big saves to preserve the tie, but the
Engineers finally scored the winner in the final minute.  Union
couldn't hey Gallant pulled until about 20 seconds were left, and they
only had one real chance to tie in the final seconds.

If Union can put in this kind of effort in every game, they'll win
their share.  It has to be disappointing for the Dutchmen to work so
hard and come out empty-handed, but even Coach Delventhal said after
the game that it was a great game.

Union falls to 1-3-1 in the league and RPI stays perfect at 5-0.  The
Dutchmen are 4-4-1 overall and RPI is 7-3 overall.  Both teams
complete their pre-Christmas schedules with road games at Princeton
next weekend - RPI on Friday and Union on Sunday.
| This report and much more information on Union Hockey including schedules,|
| rosters, team photos, and game reports can be found on the World Wide Web |
| at URL http://tardis.union.edu/~terescoj/hockey/hockey.html               |
--
Jim Teresco, Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science, SCOREC
E-mail: [log in to unmask], WWW: http://tardis.union.edu/~terescoj/