From:
"John R. Nash" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John R. Nash
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 1994 22:26:14 -0600
In the Sunday game of this series (the state H.S. championships pushed the
Fri-Sat series to Sat-Sun), the Badgers did to Alaska-Anchorage what
Minnesota did to them -- finish off a regular season sweep.  Here are some
notes on the game, as seen from section 327:

Before the anthem, Otto Breitenbach (sp?), retiring WCHA commish, was given
a nice plaque and a hearty round of applause by all in attendance.

In the first period, the Badgers looked sharp.  Two nice goals by Jason
Zent (the first a bullet shot from outside the right circle that goalie
Davis saw all the way but couldn't stop), strong goaltanding by Kirk
Daubenspeck, great up-and-down-the-ice action, accurate passing. This is
Badger hockey as I like it. 2-0 after one.

The first fifteen minutes of the second period were similar, but it seemed
to me there were a few more defensive lapses, and Daubenspeck had to make
some acrobatic saves.  A goal by Max Williams (I think it was him) made it
3-0 Badgers.  The end of this period was a bit dicey, with several chances
for the Seawolves.  One of these CLEARLY went into the net.  The Alaska
players knew it, everyone in the stands knew it.  Only the refs, the goal
judge, and the goalie (it was behind him) didn't see it.  A quick sweep of
the puck out with the legs, and a good clear by the D, and all was
forgotten...  Coupled with last week's "thrown in" goal by Fairchild, I've
got to wonder what we're paying this goal judge!  I'm a Badger fan, but UAA
was robbed.

Third period.  We've seen this before.  A nice comfy lead at home, and...
Increasing defensive lapses combined with Daubenspeck getting a bit tired
(he hasn't played much this year) result in two quick UAA goals, the second
on a nicely-played 2-on-1, and the Seawolves are back in it.  With about
three minutes left in the game, UAA completed the comeback, tying it up at
three.  Off to OT.

OT: A few chances by UAA off the opening face off (one shot I believe).
Then the Badgers regrouped and sprung a nice 2-on-1.  Fairchild to Williams
(again, I think), and the Badgers win 4-3.

Kelly Fairchild and Andrew Shier both picked up two assists in the game,
and finish the season with 52 points.  UMD's Marinucci finished with 53
points and takes the WCHA scoring title.  Also of note is that after Zent
scored two in the first period, he "almost" had a hat trick on a number of
occasions.  Credit Freshman goaltender Chris Davis of UAA for making some
quality saves when they were needed.  Based on what I saw in this game,
he's a good prospect for the future for Alaska.

Next week: first round of the playoffs.  Best of three vs. North Dakota.
UAA plays struggling Northern in what should be a close series.

Drop the puck!

-===-John R. [log in to unmask] Chem. Dept-===-