EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Joe Finnerty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 18:34:13 PDT
Speaking of poetry--The Cantos, I don't feel qualified to discuss such specific topics as
suggested by Peter Campion, but I do have a general, gut-level (an "I knows what I
likes"-type) question, or series of questions, about Cantos 52-71 (published in a single
volume in 1940 or thereabouts by Faber, so I'll address them as a unit).

I re-read The Cantos from time to time from beginning to end.  It's a voyage I've completed
about four times now, and I am underway for a fifth time.  On prior treks, I recall 52-71
as the slowest going of all the "sections," but this time (perhaps because I'm older and
time is more precious?) I've run aground, somewhere in the 60's (I can't recall exactly
where; it's been about a month-and-a-half since I last tried to set keel to breakers and
move onward again).  I'd like to skip ahead to the Pisans and just forget the rest of this
volume, but I don't feel right about that, so I just founder here in the doldrums.

The questions:  Is there anything redeeming (I won't push it by using the term "inspiring")
about this 52-71 sequence?  Did Pound ever write anything worse?  What happened to the keen
ear and eye, the clear mind, of the poet who wrote the preceding and succeeding cantos?
Are 52-71(setting aside the Italians, 72 and 73) the nadir of Pound's poetic output?

Anyone have any thoughts, reactions--reprimands even--on this?