ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 14:30:12 -0500
Here is the story I wrote on Steve Kariya and Jason Krog in
anticipation of Sunday's game. It appeared in today's Maine Campus.
Hope you all enjoy.

By Bill Stewart
Maine Campus staff

        Jason Krog and Steve Kariya are no strangers to each other.
        Aside from their annual New Hampshire-Maine on ice battles, the two
played against each other in the British Columbia Junior Hockey League
prior to their arrival in the collegiate ranks.
        Krog, one of the country's more explosive players, played for the
Chilliwack Chiefs while Kariya, Maine's representative for the Hobey
Baker award, skated for the Nanaimo Clippers.
        "We were in separate divisions but we played each other only a couple
of times," Krog said. "I could tell he was going to be outstanding."
        And come Sunday, the pyres of college hockey will cross paths again
when the No. 3 Wildcats blaze into Alfond Arena's battlefield to combat
the No. 2 Black Bears.
        However, beyond the marquee matchup is the ultimate showcase of each
team's catalyst.
        "We have Krog and they have Kariya," UNH coach Dick Umile said.
"Everything about it will be exciting. They are the strongest
candidates for the Hobey Baker award.
        "I'm sure Shawn [Walsh, Maine's head coach] feels the same way about
Steve the way I do about Jason."
        Kariya and Krog last faced each other Nov. 27 in the opening round of
the Governor's Cup in a contest where both players awestruck the fans.
        "They really put on a show," Walsh said.
        Kariya torched the Wildcats for two spectacular goals while Krog found
the back of the net from the point on a goal that Walsh described as
amazing.
        The two prolific goal scorers have followed similar scoring trails
during their years in college hockey. After breaking into the league in
1995-96, the two experienced their growing pains before posting growing
numbers.
        In their rookie campaigns, Kariya finished with 22 points while Krog
recorded 20.
        But then something happened.
        The pair would combine for 233 points, including 103 goals in the
following two seasons.
        The impressive numbers, coupled with a strong commitment to defense,
have elicited nothing but accolades from each other in the days leading
up to the game.
        "I'm most impressed with the way he carries himself," said Krog, who
leads the nation in scoring with 52 points. "He keeps to himself and
he's one of those players that just catches your eye."
        "He's maybe the best player I've played all year," Kariya said. "He is
the total package. He can shoot, pass and dish out the hits."
        Kariya, a resident of North Vancouver, British Columbia, needs four
points to register his third consecutive 50-point season. Krog, who is
tied with Kariya in goals with 18, is homing in on his third 60-point
season in as many years.
        "Steve Kariya is dynamite," Umile said. "I watch him on film and he is
just a threat every time he steps on the ice."
        As for Krog?
        "What hasn't he done? He is just an incredible player," said Umile,
whose Wildcats swept the Black Bears in Orono last year. "He's made
everyone he plays with so much better."
        Although the two senior captains remain consistent in point
production, their styles skate on opposite ends of the spectrum.
        Krog, who was a second team All-American last year, boasts a physical
edge in his game while Kariya adds the element of slyness.
        "He's definitely swift," Krog said.
        Maine, which is three points behind UNH for the league lead, will play
Northeastern tonight in Boston before returning to Orono.
        And when the Bears return to Maine for Sunday's 7 p.m. faceoff, the
spotlight will be there beaming on two of the game's brightest stars.