From:
Greg Sorenson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 1994 11:04:38 CST
The lack of ECAC footage, and general coverage, on "College Hockey
USA" seems to be the fault of the ECAC itself. The conference office
 does the least amount of work (in comparison to the other three
 major hockey cenferences) in promoting their product. An
(admittedly poor) example: The ECAC Div. I press release is two (faxed)
pages long and includes no more than scores, standings, scoring top
5, an honor roll, and a few randome notes., whereas the WCHA
release is about 6-8 double-sided pages, with a bunch of oddities,
 attendance figures, etc.

At first glance, this appears to be a case of ivy-league
snobbery...imagining themselves to be above the fray, or
something. But I don't think it's anything like that. To be sure,
the ECAC has a bit more to worry about than the other
conferences. It is, after all, the only Div. I hockey conference that
is not exclusively hockey-oriented. And then there's the Div. 2, 3,
and women's stuff they do. But it seems the conference leaves
much of the promotional burden up to the member schools, and they
 do a good job with what they have to work with (John Veneziano
at Harvard in particular).