From:
Russell Jaslow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1993 08:37:38 EST
I just got a letter the other day from College Hockey Magazine.  They
said that they will not be publishing the magazine for the 1993-94 season.
It also stated "no long term decisions have been made (for beyond this
season)."

Other quotes from the letter:

"After great efforts to make the magazine work as a business, we reached
the conclusion that without much larger numbers of subscriptions, it did not
make financial sense to publish at this time."

"College Hockey magazine has always tried to be a top quality publication
serving a small niche market.  For at least the current season, that niche
is too small."

My uncancelled check was returned, so at least they are being very honorable
about it.

College Hockey magazine was acquired by Howe Sports Publishing earlier in the
year.  I got to wonder why they made such a purchase before "realizing" that
they weren't going to do anything with it?  It also is not encouraging to
hear that our niche is "too small".

I agreed with a previous poster that this was the better of the college hockey
publications simply because we can all get the facts, stats, standings, and
game stories from right here on Hockey-L and hockey3.  This magazine offered
feature stories and a nice glossy finish with good photos.

So, now perhaps I will look elsewhere.  I haven't paid much attention to the
other publications.  I know there is something called Intercollegiate Hockey
Newsletter published from somewhere in the Albany, NY area.  People have
recently mentioned the newspaper out of Michigan (College Hockey Journal ?),
and another new newsletter from the West.  I would appreciate it if folks
could send me information on these and any other college hockey publications
by way of email.  I will looking for one that also covers Division II/III
hockey.  Thanks.
Russell Jaslow         | Official Contact - Potsdam College Bears |My employer
Eastman Kodak Company  | Potsdam College - 1981 and 1986 NCAA Div.|has nothing
Rochester, New York    |   III National Basketball Champions and  |to do with
[log in to unmask]     winners of 60 consecutive games!     |my drivel.