From:
Rick Feldhoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick Feldhoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1993 20:20:16 EDT
Associate Professor of Biochemistry
Phone: (502)588-5752
Mike noted that UMass is jumping into first yr play in Div I with 25 of 26
players listed as freshmen. I would guess relatively few are on full
scholarships although when I saw a Maine game last yr, I was surprised at how
large the roster was (about twice the size of the # dressed for an away game).

How many hockey scholarships are allowed in each division (I, II, III) and can
they be split among two or more players? Is there any limit on total team size
or the number who can dress for a game or travel? What is the best strategy to
build or maintain a first-class hockey program (?) - try to give 1/4 of total
scholarships/yr for 4 yrs, alumni, run summer camps, TV exposure, skill and
personality of coach, etc.(all of the above). If wins are important in
recruiting, was it smart forUMass to jump right into Div I play? Strangely, in
basketball Louisville always has one of the best programs in the country, but
they may do better recruiting in "off" years or when they lose a lot talent
because the best kids want to come in and start as freshmen. With so much
playing time for everyone in hockey, this may not be as important as being
willing to work hard to earn the highest possible placement (which enhances
the total team performance).Mike mentioned UMass getting players from the
Springfield Olympics which is a junior A type team (I think). Do they compare
well with Canadian "junior" leagues which major programs recruit from?

         Although tuition is probably still quite low at UMass, the total
costs including room and meals could be substantial for Mass kids and much
higher for out-of-staters. As I recall, half of Maine's roster was Mass kids,
but I'd be hard-pressed to believe they were all on scholarship. Do large Div
I programs maintain a JV team of walk-ons?

How does one go about getting a copy of the NC$$ hockey rule book and do they
apply to all divisions and club hockey? My impression of the apparent rule
differences between the colleges and pros are: The pros should use a 2 referee
system and colleges should play 4 on 4 with matching minors and all new rinks
should be Olympic size.

(It should be noted that all of the above was a subconcious attempt to avoid
reviewing a manuscript tonight, but it probably won't work)