From:
Steve Feinleib <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Feinleib <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1993 14:39:43 EST
Paul Marchant noticed earlier:

What people in the Boston area and Minnesota/Wisconsin area don't understand is
that college hockey is not covered in the Midwest very well. Either via print
or television media. PASS only covers a very small market. With out the
coverage, you can't expect people to spend money on an unknown commodity.

Moving the West regional to Minnesota or Wisconsin will not solve the
underlying problem. If we can't convince the NC$$ to showcase college hockey
more effectively, then maybe we can convince the division I schools to take
on that burden themselves. Without increasing the exposue the sport has, we
will continue to find people staying home to watch college basketball rather
than watch college hockey.

 AND Michael Burger pointed out:

8:00pm EST-Milwaukee   LSSU|BU vs. Michigan in hockey
8:30pm EST-New Orleans Kentucky vs. Michigan in basketball

Thanks a lot.
___
  Being out of the "College Hockey Belt", I had been wondering about this in
relation to how the NC$$ could promote hockey.  People on the list have
suggested various proposals for more (or less) teams in the NC$$ tourney, or
relocating the sites of games in reference to getting better exposure and
attendance.  It is clear to me that anywhere outside of the specific
localities and colleges that are participating in the NC$$ hockey tournament,
the only news one gets at this time of year is about the B-Ball tournament.
This is especially true on nationally broadcasted stations such as the major
networks, ESPN, and CNN sports.
  I would think that the NC$$ hockey tournament would get MUCH more exposure
if it didn't conflict with the B-Ball tournament (and I'm not just talking
about fans for any given team).  How plausible is it to have the hockey
tourney after the B-Ball tourney?  Granted it is getting late in the year
already (but hey, is there any bad time for hockey ;-), but I should think it
would be in the best interest for hockey's national exposure if it weren't
under the overwhelming shadow of the basketball season, and especially its
finale.  Hockey would get lots more publicity after the B-ball season, because
of the lull afterwards, and not only would it get press, but also attract the
common sports fan's interest.  Maybe we could actually get the games on in a
sports bar here in D.C., even if GW were giving Michigan a run for their money
(well, maybe not in that case :-).
  I guess all I'm trying to say is that I don't think a complete restructuring
of the hockey tournament is necessary to have it get more exposure -- a simple
change in the timing would do the trick.

Hoping to catch the games from Milwaukee on the tube ...

                                             _______
  Steve Feinleib                          | | Let's
  Cornell '91                             | |  Go
  SFA@NIHCU (bitnet)                      | | Red!  __
  [log in to unmask] (internet)                \ \_____/ /
                                            \_______/