From:
Mike Abegg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:13:33 -0000
My impression is that having host schools go to their own regional has as
much to do with practicalities of hosting a regional, as with trying to
build attendance.  It just doesn't make sense given the modest size of
hockey staffs for them to try to run a regional while also supporting
their own team traveling to another site.

But in the West, there's no doubt attendance is a problem because of the
travel distances involved.  I'm sure GR struggles if Michigan or MSU isn't
in.  I'm pretty sure the last time the Gophs played at Mariucci, the games
weren't sold out, or if they did, it was at the last minute.  I know I had
no trouble buying tickets as a member of the general public (good seats,
too).  Will be VERY interesting to see how Green Bay does next year.

Regarding the WCHA Final Five, the X is the first place they've had the
tournament that it has really blossomed.  I know it was at Bradley Center
several times, and I went the last time it was at Target Center in
Minneapolis (maybe 5 years ago?).  I think at both those venues the
attendance was not superb - I vaguely recall seeing Minnesota and Mankato
in a 4-5 game in front of no more than 7,000 people at Target Center.  And
you could certainly question how much of an advantage the X is for the
Gophers based on this year's lovely performance!

I wouldn't be surprised if Milwaukee or Denver tried to get the WCHA once
in a while.  The profile of the tournament is clearly higher now than ever
before, and the success of the Colorado schools should allow Denver to be
successful as a host.

On a completely unrelated note, in the what, 11 years that they've done
the neutral-site regionals, BU has NEVER played in a West/Midwest
Regional.  They've either earned a top seed in the east, hosted a
regional, or missed the tournament entirely.  Karma?

Mike Abegg