From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 12:12:39 -0500
The Friday night game between RPI and Brown was
marked noticeably by the lack of referee involvement.
Drew Taylor let the teams play. Granted, this wasn't
a physical game by any stretch of the imagination and
most of the calls were trips and hooks. There seemed
to be no imbalance between calls against RPI or Brown.
Perhaps this was due to the fact that both teams played
a similar style of hockey. Regardless, not only did I think
the referees weren't "bad", but this is one of the few games
all season where I thought the referees called a good game.

Then, on Saturday night, Drew Taylor goes over to Schenectady
and calls a horrendous game (according to some in attendance).
Even the Albany Times-Union (which is notorious for keeping
out of the good referee-bad referee fracas) featured  comments
on the calls and non-calls.

To his credit, Union coach Kevin Sneddon defused the situation
somewhat by refusing to be baited in the post-game interview.
He stated: "They (referees) can't win or lose a game for you.
I truly believe that. We lost because not everybody showed up."

A class act by the coach. But it makes you wonder what goes
on in the head of the referees when they call an exemplary game
on one night and do a complete turn-around the next.

Mark Lewin
RPI '69