From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward N. Moller
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 10:22:00 -0500
On Sun, 7 Feb 1999 00:37:01 EST Randy May wrote:

> That's exactly my point...anytime a guy crossed the line back then he became
> an outcast, even on his own team at times.

This is true in other sports as well.  Anytime a fight breaks out in baseball it
invariably ends up in a bench clearing.  A few years back when the Red Sox were
involved in a brawl, a Red Sox player came out carrying a bat.  His teammates
blackballed him until he was removed from the team at season's end.  Who can
forget this year when Arthur Rhodes of the Baltimore Orioles beaned an opponent
because the previous two batters homered off him.  His Oriole teammates were
rightfully appalled with him.

I am not a fan of the full facemask at the college level.  I believe it causes
more injuries than it prevents.  Players show disrespect for the head by
carrying sticks higher; look at the black tape marks on some players' helmets.
Some people have theorized that the severity of Travis Roy's injury could have
been reduced had he not been wearing a full shield.  OTOH, I have a 4-year old
playing youth hockey, and I wouldn't dream of putting him on the ice without
full face protection.  So put me down in favor of a half shield for college
players; the eye protection is entirely warranted.

--
Edward N. Moller
Controller