From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 08:15:29 EST
On Jan 28, 1999, Dan Doucette wrote:

>If your logic is true, there should be a plethora of skating >rinks in
>Georgia and a number of hockey players from that native land.

Dan, I said "will spawn" more interest! (-:

What I hear from players and fans "down" there is that  kids' leagues are
sprouting up all the time. The Flames in the seventies were isolated to say
the least! Considering weather, indoor ice is expensive and rinks are few and
far between. But, that's how it was in LA for years, especially before inline
got big! California is producing, just in the past several years, more Div 1
and NHL players. Maybe you have some aversion to our brand of SOUTH?
(-: Hopefully Southern born players will impact the sport in the future.

>There are a variety of answers

I've talked to many scouts, NHL players past and present and coaches, in
regard to "who is better prepared for the NHL!" I've received lots of
differing opinions. The overwhelming consensus is  that the single most
crucial element of player success is development. Exactly what that word
constitutes is naturally up for differing definitions. But, obviously there
are damn good reasons why European players displace Americans in the draft.
The numero uno significant fact is player development can't be optimally
achieved with diluted talent and a meager game schedule where ever that may
take place. Granted, THN's list of top rookies this month are American
collegians! These guys were playing WAY ABOVE D-1 level most of their college
careers. I see them as an exception. I brought up this topic cause - I just
wanted to KNOW what all YOU college devotees and rooters had to say on the
subject! (-:

Vicki Price
violentcontact.net
Concussion Free Zone