From:
Rick O'Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick O'Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 14:50:45 -0500
Charles J. Masenas wrote:

> Message Dated: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 18:42:03 EST
> >> ...  Third, you will need to accept cookies
> >> with your browser.  If you don't know what that last
> >> one means, you probably don't need to worry about it.
>
> Big OUCH!  Personally, I would never accept a cookie.  I am
> suspicious that a cookie would be necessary to enter a poll
> on the web.
>
> -------
> Regards,
> Charles J. Masenas

Never accept a cookie?  You obviously don't have the sweet tooth I do.
I don't want to enter into a debate on the merits versus demerits of
cookies on the list.  I will say, though, that I believe I am using
them responsibly.  I use them for authentication, which is necessary
to make sure one user doesn't easily tamper with another user's picks.
I use session cookies only, which means the browser shouldn't even
store it on your hard drive.  You can tell they are session cookies
by the fact that you should have to log in only when you've closed
your browser and restarted it.  You also should never see a reference
to .achieva.com in your cookies.txt file.  If you do, I'd love to hear
about it.  If you'd like to discuss it further, I'd be interested in
doing so off the list.

Obligatory college hockey content:  when did Clarkson become the host
in Albany?  I heard nothing about this until after the field was
announced...  I guess that means we had nothing to fear about going
West?  Seems like it was decided after the field was named, though.

One other thing: what ever happened to the Hockey-L archives?  Do they
still exist?  If so, where?

Thanks,
-- Rick O'Donnell.
| Rick O'Donnell <[log in to unmask]>   \  \ \  _ __\   __  __ __   |
| Clarkson '87 --- Let's Go Tech!!!       \    \ _\\  \/_\__ \ \\ \  |
|       Clarkson Hockey on the WWW:        \__\ \\_\\  \ \ _\ \_\\ \ |
| http://heron.tc.clarkson.edu/~odonnell/        \______   __        |