From:
"John T. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John T. Whelan
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 13:48:59 -0700
Edward Moller writes:

>>>Inside the Whittemore Center in Durham, NH, hangs a banner celebrating
>>>the Wildcats 1997 Hockey East championship.  I suppose the University of
>>>New Hampshire offers a course detailing the strategies Dewey utilized in
>>>his 1948 victory over Truman.

Bill Fenwick corrects:

>>An admirable try at a backhanded slap... of course, the problem is that UNH
>>*did* win a share of the regular-season Hockey East championship (along with
>>BU) in 1997, which I assume is what the banner is for.

Edward replies:

>I don't begrudge what the Wildcats accomplished over the course of the 1996-97
>regular season. They earned a share of the regular season title fair and square.
>UNH should do the right thing, however, and take the banner down and replace it
>with something that accurately represents the facts.

        Clarkson has a nifty way of handling this; the RS banners say,
for instance, "1994-95 ECAC Champions", while the tournament title
ones say, e.g., "1993 ECAC Champions".  (Cornell doesn't have RS title
banners, but they do have Ivy League [for which there is *only* a
regular season title] banners.)

Greenie points out:

>Ahhh yes but generally speaking, isn't the "winner" of the division the one
>that wins the tournament? According to Hockey East, "the Lamoriello Cup is
>awarded to the conference champion at the Hockey East Championship
>Tournament."

        And the ECAC awards the Scotty Whitelaw Trophy similarly.  But
in the WCHA,  it's the regular   season champ who gets  the McNaughton
Cup.  (I forget now whether it's shared in case of a tie...)

                                        John Whelan, Cornell '91
        <http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jtw16960/jshock.html>

Cornell Men's Ice Hockey: Back-to-back ECAC and Ivy League Champions