From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 00:25:50 -0500
This is a bit late, but... I was glad to see Mark Lewin's description of
the Cornell-RPI game Saturday, 'cause from the snatches I caught on the
radio, the action sounded remarkably one-sided, in favor of the Engineers.
(At least until the tail end of the second period, when the old "mo" seemed
to switch benches)  The Big Red seemed at times to insist on hanging goal-
tender Jason Elliott out to dry, occasionally in spectacular fashion.
(Find me the goaltender who can reasonably be counted on to stop a 3-on-1
break without some kind of major screwup by the other team... ouch!)

>and put the Engineers up 6-2. Enough already? Not quite. At the center
>ice faceoff following the goal, RPI won the faceoff and iced the puck.
>On the ensuing faceoff in the RPI defensive zone, Cornell freshman Andrew
>McNiven, won the faceoff, drew it back to Dan Svoboda who took 2 steps to
>his left to avoid the crowd and drilled a shot past Prekaski at 19:07
>to finish out the second period, RPI 6  - Cornell 3.

Had this goal not been scored, the game might have gone very differently.
Cornell head coach Mike Schafer said afterwards that he had been giving
serious thought to pulling Elliott after the second and giving backup Ian
Burt his first collegiate action (the classic shake-the-team-up move), but
he changed his mind after the Svoboda goal... "I saw something in our guys
when that happened."  So Elliott stays in, and the whole team has a strong
third period... not strong enough, unfortunately (from the Cornell point of
view) to overcome the hole they were in.

>Although Cornell lost, they had no reason to be disappointed in their effort.
>Their entire team played well, their intensity never flagged and they never
>showed any signs of quitting.

Several players mentioned after the game that it was a shame, in a way, that
there weren't any more games for three weeks, as they felt they could have
used the last part of this one as a springboard.  Then again, given the
injuries the Big Red has battled all year, they could sure use the rest.

OK, here's where I admit that my main purpose in posting this was to slip in
a non-college-hockey-related announcement, so if you're not interested in
such things, hit your "delete" or "next message" key now...

Still here?  Well, then... my wife Lisa and I are proud to announce the birth
of our second child, a boy.  Jonathan Craig Fenwick came into the world on
Tuesday, December 2, weighing in at 10 pounds, 11 ounces, and measuring 20 1/2
inches.  Jonathan, Mom, and big brother David are doing fine... as for myself,
here I sit writing Email with Jonathan sleeping on my lap... yeah, I'm kind of
crazy right now :-)

Actually, I guess this is sort of peripherally college hockey-related... des-
pite Cornell's oh-fer weekend, at least the Big Red no longer has the kind of
team that makes people say, "goodness, your son's already bigger than most of
the Cornell players." :-)

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95                                             DJF  5/27/94
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  JCF  12/2/97
"I liked your opera.  I think I will set it to music."
-- Ludwig van Beethoven, to a contemporary