From:
Ken Kretsch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Kretsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 09:07:36 -0500

> >There can be a ton more.  I think it is a fan's perspective that
> >make the rivalry.  It was glad to see that the B Line rivalry
> >filled up the Fleet Center last night.  May the
> >Commonwealth Ave Wars recommence!

When I was at BU in the mid 70's, the BU-BC rivalry was at one of its peaks.
The local trolley started at BC, ran through BU, then
continued on to the Boston Garden (note, all you clever people, there is
no 'h' in Garden). Even though the trolleys would be about 1/2 full when
they arrived at BU, the BC kids would jam the doorways and not let us
in.

> Joe is 100 percent right here.. it all has to do with the school.
>
> For instance, Maine views Boston University as their chief rival, but BU
> (while enjoying wins over Maine immensely) has Boston College as their #1 rival.
>
> It's also been suggested that UNH thinks of Maine as their top rival, while
> it isn't the same from Maine's point down.
>
> Rivalries also come and go with quality of the teams.  Maine and BC used to
> have quite a rilvary when both were always battling for the top spots in
> Hockey East.

True BU and Cornell were rivals in the late 60's and early 70. BU and Harvard
was big in the 70's as well. I'm curious, though. Does the Harvard/Yale
rivalry carry over into other sports with the same intensity as football?