From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 01:02:18 -0400
At 10:00 AM -0600 8/1/96, Michael Smar wrote:
> Oh, please! This happens every day. It's called life. Ever not get a job
>somewhere
> because the applicant ahead of you was better qualified? Was it another
>company's
> fault that you didn't get the job you wanted because they didn't hire the
>other
> applicant? I think not.

I don't think that the kids who lose out on scholarships or their parents
will look at it that way.  It's one thing if you lose out simply because
you weren't good enough.  It's another if you know that you would have
definitely gotten a scholarship if the cut in scholarships at Maine didn't
occur.

Lee noted that the percentage of scholarships cut is insignificant compared
to the total offered.  That's true, in the grand scheme of things, but it's
still true that some kids will be affected.  And for those kids and their
parents, it will be unfortunate.  That's all.  I'm sure those parents out
there understand what I said.  It doesn't mean anything has to be done
about it.  But as long as we're talking about people being affected, like
the current Maine kids who will not get to compete for an NCAA title next
year, it's worth considering the other people who will be affected more.

> This is really a silly arguement for allowing Maine to keep it's
>scholarships.

It sure is.  In fact, that's why I also said in the same post,

+I'm not suggesting that this should argue against the decision nor that
+colleges have a duty to provide hockey scholarships to people.

But, you neglected to include it when quoting me.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93