From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 09:26:48 -0500
Hi -

On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, Leigh M Torbin wrote:
On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, Steven R. Glazewski wrote:
>> You'd think it would be illegal to carry the puck on the end of the
>> stick, much like carrying the ball is illegal in volleyball and
>> travelling is illegal in basketball.  This could start a trend!

  [snip, snip]

> The reason that you won't see more of this is that if the goalie reads
> the play, it's extremely easy to just knock the puck off of the stick.

  That's true of course, but the beauty of it is/was how it exploits the
goalie's natural tendency to protect the low near post for an (expected)
ice-level wrap-around tuck-in, which naturaly leaves the whole top of the
net wide open.  Even now, after Legg has broken the ice (so to speak:-)
with this type of move (in competition; since, as others have noted, I've
seen the play in practice/warm-ups but never used in a game), it's gotta
put some further indecision in the back of every goal-keeper's mind when
there's an unchecked player loose behind the net.  Will he wrap-around or
pass out to the slot ??  And if he *does* try a tuck-in, is he coming in
high or low ??  He (the shooter) could even start his move with the puck
on his stick, then quickly flick a pass out front when the keeper moves
to knock the puck off his stick.  It's every goailie's nightmare - MORE
options to be concerned about :-)

> Any sort of contact to the stick and Legg does not score a goal. Which
> would have been too bad because that was a beauty. Redemption for being
> stoned by a prone Blair Allison in last year's eternal semi.

  That save (we were watching from behind/above the net in our usual
Phinal Phour perch :-) was as amazing as Legg's goal was this year.  I
didn't recall which Michigan player had been robbed, so thanks Leigh
for making the connection.  I hope he feels (a little) better now :-)

  Hope to see at least some of you in Cincinnati - Jim

  P.S. If UIC's hockey program is indeed terminated (another sad day in
       DivI college Hockey) will that open the door for Niagara Univ. to
       join the CCHA ?? In some ways they'd fit better there than in the
       ECAC, and - unlike the ECAC - it looks like there'll be a league
       opening soon.  Methinks Niagara may be in the catbird seat so far
       as securing a league affiliation (be it CCHA or ECAC) that works
       out well for all parties concerned ....